Monday, November 12, 2012

Loving Kindness

Ok so this week's exercise was...not very beneficial for me unfortunately. The other exercises have mostly been for calming and relaxing and I definitely got that again with this one but with all the picturing and "moving" things in and out of my heart and breathing things in and out...I found it difficult. I couldn't calm my mind well enough to think about moving images and when I would try it was like they didn't want to listen! My mind is even stubborn against itself! It really made me realize how much I don't really have control over my mind yet. I thought I was getting better with the loving kindness, and maybe I am but as far as controlling and calming my mind...It's not great at all. I don't know if I would recommend this to others..but I'd say it'd be worth a shot because you never know if it will help you or not.
I think the concept of a mental workout doesn't have to be a calming or a relaxing one like this exercise. I think anything that challenges your normal way of thinking is a mental workout. In all of our readings it is clear that with mental workouts you see great benefits. They give you a more positive outlook on life, which tends to reduce stress, which will in turn improve your health both mentally and physiologically. The ways I've been trying to reduce my stress are more like mini workouts for my mentality and I also like to reflect on things which prepares me better for the next situation. When I'm in a situation I try to not react instinctively and instead try to step back and be calm...even if that's not exactly what I'm feeling at the moment. I find that in the end if I lighten up toward the other person and try to show compassion and understanding instead of judgement or hostility, the other person becomes easier to deal with and kind of lightens up themselves too. Afterward I try not to dwell on the situation too much, but I do briefly reflect on what I could have done differently to help the situation or to keep myself calmer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment