Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Beam Of Light!

This assignment was interesting this week. When I got started initially, just like the lady said, I couldn't think of anyone really that I considered super wise so I made someone up. Then as we it progressed I realized all the things I was thinking about this person...loving, all knowing, compassionate, giving....and it clicked. Who better to think of as my mentor than Jesus himself. So after that I really liked the exercise and the thought of transferring these qualities to myself. I can't explain how really but I could feel a difference in myself afterward...more at peace with not just myself but everything around me too. I think this brought me closer to my spirituality just for the fact that I used Jesus as my focal point. If I didn't I'm not sure if it would have? I guess it would because any person I regarded as wise and loving would bring me closer to His way of doing things. I think I could continue doing this...maybe not everyday to start but every now and then when I feel like I'm going off track from the integral mentality I think this a good way to get in the right mind again.

"One cannot lead another where one has not gone himself" to me is a credibility thing. I know if I was the one being told to do something I would much more likely listen and respect someones opinion if they have gone through or done what they are telling me to do themselves. I work in a physical therapy clinic helping to rehabilitate injured soldiers and one of my co-workers has always said to me since I started working there that you can't expect one your patients to do an exercise that you can't do with them. So a lot of times we will get down with them and do the workout with them...and it motivates them so it's a win win. I think the same applies to any healthcare, mental or physical. I feel like if someone is telling someone else to live a certain way and isn't doing it themselves, it's hypocritical and to me I would think, well I obviously it's not that great of a thing to do because he's not even doing it. So yeah I definitely think we as healthcare professionals would owe it to our patients to live out what we are telling them to do.  

3 comments:

  1. Jerrica,
    I absolutely love that you used Jesus as your mentor. I think that doing this exercise with Jesus in mind will definitely help draw you closer to Him. I think I might have to try this exercise again with Jesus as my mentor. He wants nothing more than to draw us closer to Him and meditating on Him is such a great way to grow closer to Him.
    I think it is so cool that you work with injured soldiers. I think it is very important for those of us in the healthcare profession to practice what we preach. When we lead we better be able to show others that we have gone before them and have done what we are asking them to do.
    Thanks for sharing your blog! Have a great week, Tiffany Stein

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jerrica,
    You are correct in saying one must lead by example. It is like going to a nutritionist and the person is overweight. Now this the person that will help me to lose weight and help me to eat correctly by teaching me how to make healthy choices. First of all I will be totally disappointed to see a nutritionist looking like she need to lose some weight and are not practicing what she is trying to teach others. I will not be attending that clinic. One mus definitely lead by example.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Jerrica.
    Thank you for stopping by to read my post. As you know, I, too used Jesus as my focal point in this exercise. What better person? Jesus demonstrates all of the attributes of loving-kindness, patience, compassion, understanding, non-judgemental and so many more. I strive to live my life by I Corinthians 13:4-8. It is nice to know that someone else shares your same beliefs :).

    Peace and blessings always~
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete